Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Iowa detail -- Day 1

So this is Iowa. I get off the plane which was two hours late and can already feel the humidity.
The airport is tiny and easy to escape, and the car rental lady is very nice.

No one in Iowa seems to care that I am a big old queer.

I drive to Ames, find my hotel finally, then go out for a drive to see the sights and find dinner... also to get a bunch of crap I forgot.

I find the University and it is AWESOME. Well I really just love the trees and the buildings like the great red brick horse barn.

I drive around, finally run into an area with a lot of stores and hit the Big KMart for the things I forgot. Soda is really expensive here, and there are no liqour stores. Finally find a liquor store which informs me that all grocery stores and convenince stores sell booze. Ah.


A shining beacon of hope in the night.
I find a Taco John's (across from a Taco Time!) and return to the hotel.

The next morning I run to the work campus and figure out what the hell I will be doing all day, which is WALK. The square footage of the building is 11 football fields on 4 floors. Whew. There are also cool things like level 2 and 3 labs, which are empty so you can go in and look at them with no danger of contamination.

For lunch the boss of the customer service folks takes me to a great pizza place Great Plains Sauce and Dough. It should be called Great Plains Dough and Cheese because that is what most of the pizza is made of. TONS of cheese, on thick whole wheat or oat crust. I liked it quite a bit, and it was cheap. 2 slices and a coke set me back 5.66, with free soda refills.

We tour the main street a little and then head back to the campus. After work I go to cool down in my room then venture back out to look for the supposed gay bar, a big box store, and a proper grocery store. Gay bar is non-existent. Grocery store is odd, frozen food is NOT cheap here. The soda is still not cheap, which I figure is because of the deposit on bottles. The store brand soda makes me laugh.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaw!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're in Ames the best liquor store is http://cycloneliquors.com/ near the Hy-Vee (which also sells liqour from 6 or 7 am until 2 am every day). If you want oriental food check out CHC (Chinese Homestyle Cooking) or Bali Satay (Indonesian) both on Lincoln Way near campus. Thumbs on West St. has 75 cent Gin and tonics on thursdays and is a diverse crowd for Ames, expect some hippies. Enjoy.

Jack Bear said...

Oh hey thanks!!

I did end up at that Cyclone! That was the one I found, it was quite well stocked.
Thumbs may be my destination for tonight.... I hope the cabs are cheap. ;)