Friday, June 26, 2009

RSI and storms a brewin'.

My right arm, the one I use to control my mouse all day, is going numb. From the fingers to the shoulder. I believe this is known as a Repetitive Stress Injury, or something like that. Crap.

I have NOT earned my pay today. I have wasted valuable tax dollars. Why? I have nothing to do. Our systems go down, everything screeches to a halt, and even when it is working again we have to go back and figure out whose fault it is that the thing broke in the first place.

I went out on our building's back patio and watched the huge thunderstorm roll in. We could see the eerie wall of clouds and the rain on the mountains in big grey flannel sheets, but it was still as the grave and hot and humid in town.

I have a terrible taste in my mouth. I need a wisdom tooth removed, a crown put on one tooth, fixed bridge for the other side of the mouth. Plus I am sure that half of my problem with taste is from quitting smoking. Nothing is how it was once before.

Which is one of those truths of life people relate constantly. The only thing that remains the same is change. Thank you, Melissa Etheridge, see you at New West fest.
So how do we embrace change?

This really has been a theme of my life for a few months now, I really started to notice it when I heard Robert Bly on the Prairie Home Companion several weeks ago.

THE SLIM FIR-SEEDS

The nimble oven bird, the dignity of pears,
The simplicity of oars, the imperishable
Engines inside slim fir-seeds, all of these
Hint how much we long for the impermanent
To be permanent. We want the hermit wren
To keep her eggs even during the Storm;
We want eternal oceans. But we are perishable;
Friends, we are salty, impermanent kingdoms.

--Robert Bly

No comments: